Moving to a new town is undoubtedly exciting, but for most folks, also a bit nerve wracking. Questions will often swirl in your head about whether you’ll like your new town, whether it offers the amenities you need, if the people are friendly, etc. The same can be said when moving to Meriden, CT. Known fondly as the Silver City, Meriden lies in the heart of Connecticut, halfway between Hartford and New Haven. Charming, historic, and scenic, you’ll be pleased to know Meriden has much going for it. If you’re curious, the comprehensive moving guide below, compiled by the storage experts at Moove In Self Storage, is a great start! Read on to learn about moving Meriden!
What’s the Cost of Living in Meriden?
If you’ve heard that Connecticut is an expensive state, you’ve heard correctly. The good news is that Meriden, while not exactly the most inexpensive city in the country, is relatively affordable. Meriden has an overall cost of living index of 109/100, only nine points above the national average. That’s also about four points less than the Connecticut average.
The median home cost in Meriden is $255,000, about $90,000 less than the US average and over $100,000 less than the Connecticut average. (Hint: that’s not bad.) However, two cost indices to look out for are healthcare (120/100) and utilities (112/100), which are higher than the national average. Overall, though, most agree that Meriden is an affordable Connecticut city.
How is the Weather and Climate in Meriden?
One of the best ways to judge a city’s weather is to look at the comfort index, which rates the overall comfortableness of a particular place. In Meriden, the comfort index is 9.1/10, which is excellent. It’s undeniably cold and wet in Meriden during the winter, and you’ll need a snow shovel and heavy winter clothes. Spring and summertime in Meriden are beautiful, with warm, lovely days that rarely reach sweltering levels. Autumn in the city is also very comfortable and, thanks to the explosion of fall colors, stunningly gorgeous, too!
Does Meriden Offer Plenty of Job Opportunities?
Regarding job opportunities in Meriden, the news isn’t horrible, but it isn’t perfect. The city is expected to see a little bit under 20% job growth in the near future, which is lower than the US average. The unemployment rate is 5.7%, about 20% higher than the national average.
The good news is that the average salary in Meriden is around $60,000 annually, which is pretty decent. Some of the best industries to go into are management, the sciences, education, and law enforcement. Folks in the utilities industry see one of the highest annual salaries in Meriden at just under $97,000 per year.
What are Some Exciting, Interesting, and Fun Things to Do in Meriden?
- Hiking Hubbard Park- Explore the scenic trails of Hubbard Park, including a hike up to Castle Craig, where you’ll find breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Solomon Goffe House- Step back in time in one of Meriden’s oldest buildings and marvel at the colonial-era architecture and historical artifacts.
- Picnic at Giuffrida Park- Surrounding Crescent Lake, you can enjoy picnicking, hiking, and fishing in this beautiful park.
- Hike or Bike the Meriden Linear Trail- Ideal for biking, walking, or jogging, this trail is peaceful and scenic and takes you through the town’s natural landscape.
- Attend the Daffodil Festival- Held annually at Hubbard Park, this vibrant festival celebrates the blooming of over 600,000 daffodils and has food, music, crafts, and fun!
- Hunter Golf Course- A well maintained public course offering a mix of terrains perfect for all skill levels.
- Visit Gallery 53- Art lovers will enjoy Gallery 53, which features local art exhibits, workshops, and craft classes.
- Enjoy Baldwin Pond Park- This attractive park features walking paths, several playgrounds for the little ones, and many family activities.
- Mirror Lake- Located in Hubbard Park, Mirror Lake is famous for fishing and the beautiful walking trails surrounding it.
Meriden’s Top Restaurants
You might’ve heard that Connecticut has a diverse and delicious culinary scene, thanks to its location on the northern Atlantic coast. With a combination of agricultural heritage, diverse culture, and amazing seafood, it’s no surprise that Meriden has some excellent restaurants. Below are several of the best.
- Lido’s Restaurant- A local favorite, Lido’s is known for its authentic Italian dishes, cozy atmosphere, and friendly service.
- K LaMay’s Steamed Cheeseburgers- Unique steamed cheeseburgers in an eclectic setting with delicious sides? Yes, please!
- Little Rendezvous- Said to offer the best thin-crust pizza in the entire area, Little Rendezvous is one of the city’s most popular eateries.
- Huxley’s Bookmark Café- A charming spot offering a delightful fusion of American and Italian dishes.
- Nardelli’s Grinder Shoppe- Serving yummy Italian grinders, a Connecticut specialty, Nardelli’s is known for its fresh ingredients and generous portions.
- Violi’s Restaurant- Located at Hunter Golf Course, Violi’s offers a scenic dining experience and a menu that includes Italian and American favorites.
- Saki Mura Japanese Steak House- Sakura offers a fun and flavorful dining experience with delightful Hibachi chefs, making it perfect for families and date nights.
- El Sombrero Mexican Grill & Bar- Delicious Mexican fare focusing on fresh ingredients and authentic flavors. (Don’t miss their fabulous margaritas!)
- Zorba’s Restaurant- Offering Mediterranean and Greek specialties, Zorba’s also has friendly service in a cozy setting.
Store with Moove In Self Storage Meriden, CT
If you’ve just moved into town and need to store your belongings in Meriden, CT, Moove In Self Storage is your best choice. With safe and affordable storage units in Meriden that come in various sizes, it’s easy and convenient to store your belongings while you search for a new home. If you are in Meriden and need extra storage space, you can count on Moove In. Many residents store their things with us, as do many local business owners. If you’re ready, reserve a Meriden storage unit today with no credit card needed! Until then, this comprehensive moving guide to lovely Meriden, Connecticut, has provided the information you were searching for today!