Are you locked inside the storage facility after hours? Maybe you were really making progress in organizing your storage unit. Maybe it’s summer and it’s still pretty light out, so you think you are fine. But, oh no! The gate locks at 10 pm, and you completely lost track of time. You’re now stuck inside the gate and stuck in the storage unit facility after hours. What’s next?
What to Do When You’re Locked or Stuck Inside a Storage Unit Facility After Hours
If you’re stuck after hours, call the number listed on the keypad or your local non-emergency line. Here are some more do’s and don’ts:
- Please do not immediately call 911 if you’re locked inside the storage facility after hours – this really isn’t an emergency.
- Do not try to bust out of the gate yourself.
- And don’t panic!
- Call the number listed on the exit keypad, and follow the instructions
- If you have been given a business card upon renting, you also will have the storage property phone number. You can call that number (which is the same as what is on the keypad) and press option 1 for a representative.
- Talk to our call center, who will kindly help you get outside of the gate. The call center representative has special instructions and permission for each location to help you get out when this does happen.
- If you are locked inside the storage facility property long after the gate hours, and the storage counselors are not answering (after midnight for example), you can park your vehicle somewhere out of the way so it is not blocking anyone’s unit door, the entrance, or drive aisles. Then you can simply walk out of the man-gate beside the main gate and call someone from your cell phone for a ride. The man-gate is always locked from the outside going in to stop anyone from just walking in. It is also unlocked from the inside going out at all times – for your safety.
Relax – You’re Not Locked In the Storage Facility All Night!
At Moove In, our gate access hours are set from 6 am to 10 pm for your protection. We ask that you please respect these hours and be sure to be outside the gate by that time so you don’t get locked in. But hey, things do happen and we completely understand. You may find yourself on the property after 10 pm without realizing it, until it is too late. This can happen especially if you have an interior unit and cannot tell it has become dark outside. Are you locked in all night? The answer is no.
Of course, if you do have an emergency situation, please call the police or fire for emergency. You can call the numbers listed on the keypad, or 911 at that point. However, if you just need the gate opened so you can leave, that is not an emergency! Read more about self storage rules here.
If you’re locked or stuck inside a storage unit facility after hours, it’s no big deal. Should this happen to you, we ask you to have patience, as the correct procedures must take place. That can be a timely process. We do understand that this sometimes happens. But please do not become a repeat offender, or there will be fees involved for after-hours gate access assistance.