If you are a homeowner, you will likely renovate or transform a room (or two or three or more) in your home at some point down the road. Depending on how large your home is, and if you have any rooms that are not being used (which is typically unlikely), you need more space to tackle this type of project. That’s where using self storage comes into play and can be rather helpful from start to finish, and beyond.
As a first step, you will most likely have plans drawn up by a contractor or a family member or friend who has renovation experience. Then you will make a list of what you need to buy, what you need to throw away and what items you still want but that will not fit into your newly renovated space. When the days comes to start purchasing materials and supplies, it will probably dawn on you that you have no good place to keep all this stuff before or during the renovation! Rather than getting frustrated, rent a self storage unit to make your project more organized and the whole process less stressful overall.
There are many benefits to using a self storage unit during a renovation project in your home or business:
- You will have a nice, clean, secure place to put all the materials and supplies as you buy them.
- Days, weeks or even months before you plan to get started, you can move everything out of the room you are working on so it is out of your way. Your furniture and other valuables will be in a safe place where you have no worries about ruining them. I don’t know about you, but when we paint a room, the paint seems to get on things that you have no idea how it got there. Right? It sometimes seems impossible and makes no sense when you find paint spots on things nowhere near where you painted, but it happens nonetheless. Prevent that possibility by keeping all those belongings in storage while you work.
- Having your valuables out of the way also means that all the dust and debris from the renovation will not get all over them. You will have enough cleaning up to do from the work, so not having to worry about cleaning your furniture and other items is a bonus!
- Having the room empty and all your supplies organized ahead of time in your storage unit will give you plenty of room to move about and work on the room without obstacles. You can bring home only the supplies you need for each step of the process. One day may be painting day, the next day may be lights and fixtures, while the next may be flooring, and so on. More planning and less stress means little or no fighting about things with your significant other. You know how projects like these always seem to bring on arguments, right? Well, using a self storage unit to keep it all organized helps prevent or at least minimize that little side effect that home improvement projects can cause.
- You can rent a self storage unit on a monthly basis, with no long-term contracts. This gives you the freedom to keep the storage unit only as long as you need it, or for months or years to come if you decide to move right on to the next room and the next until you transform your entire house!
- Once the work is completed and your new room is ready to set up, you can simply visit your storage unit and bring everything back that you need.
- And, if you have leftover items after you’re finished that just don’t fit the new room’s motif, you can keep them in your storage unit until you decide to donate them, give them to a family member or friend, or throw them away.
As you can see, using a self storage unit during renovations at your home comes with many benefits. I’m sure that after the project wraps up you will feel that getting your self storage unit was well worth it. If you have any questions about using self storage to help transform a room in your home, you can contact us or ask any of our knowledgeable property managers. And, if you are ready to start your next renovation project, you can rent a storage unit online 24/7 and get started today!