Son’s in Quarryville held their annual Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank Blood Drive event on Sunday, May 25th from 3pm-8pm. We once again partnered with Son’s for the event. Our Quarryville property manager, Tyranni Rineer, handed out goody bags with bottled water, cow tails, a nice pen and a Moo sticker plus a fun pin to wear (my favorite is “I Love Heifers”!) for everyone who came out to donate.
[column size=”1-2″ last=”0″]
Held over the Memorial Day weekend and coupled with gorgeous weather, there was a great response from the public. There were 53 people who came out to support a great cause, donate blood and help save lives right here in our community. With the great turnout, there were 39 pints collected. On average, every one pint of blood can save the lives of three people. That means that everyone who donated has helped to save the lives of 117 members of our local community.
Thank you gifts were given to everyone who came out and tried to donate. In addition to the goody bags handed out by us, Son’s gave away a free regular Italian Ice and the Lancaster Barnstormers gave out free tickets to a home game and handed out bags full of various goodies.[/column]
[column size=”1-2″ last=”1″]
Here are some quick facts about blood donation from the Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank:
- Only 5% of the population donates blood. If 10% would donate, we could possible eliminate blood shortages.
- If you are at least 16 years old, weigh at least 110 pounds and are in good health, you can most likely donate blood. You will need parental consent if you are under 18 years old in order to donate blood.
- A healthy adult has around 10-12 pints of blood in his or her body – you can easily spare one pint to donate. Your body will completely replenish that one pint within 24 hours.
- Every two seconds, someone needs blood.
- Each day in Central Pennsylvania, patients at area hospitals utilize between 275 to 300 units of blood and products derived from blood.
- One out of every five people who enter a hospital will need a blood transfusion.
- Giving just one hour of your time and one pint of your blood can provide an entire lifetime for a local patient in need.
We want to say a very big “Thank you!” to everyone who came out and showed support for a great cause. If you missed this Blood Drive but would still like to donate, you can visit Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank at www.cpbb.org for more information and to view a schedule of future drives in the community. Mark your calendar! Moove In Self Storage will be hosting a Blood Drive later this summer at our Quarryville location. Once we have a date and time confirmed, we will post the information on our Facebook page. We hope to see you there!