A whole house remodel is no joke. It takes a lot of effort, both physically and financially. Sometimes, it’s hard to even know where to start. Lucky for you, we’re the experts in all things home and storage. That’s why we wrote this article on the cost to remodel a house and how long the whole process is going to take! Read on to see our timeline and some helpful remodeling tips and a room-by-room breakdown of costs.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
How To Get Started On Your Whole House Remodel
From budgeting to hiring contractors, you should plan with care when remodeling a house. Talk about what you want with your family. Do you want the entire kitchen remodeled? What style and color scheme are you thinking about? Try to make a Pinterest board to get a good idea of what you want before you start scheduling the work.
Your next step is to interview contractors. Contractors with many subcontractors (and excellent online reviews) are your best choice. We suggest using a site like Angi to find the most qualified and vetted professionals to help you with your project and stay within your budget.
So how much does a whole house remodel actually cost? Depending on the size of your home, a remodel can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $260,000. Here’s a breakdown of a whole house remodel cost by squarefootage:
|Square Feet||Cost Range|
|1,000||$20,000 – $70,000|
|1,500||$15,000 – $100,000|
|2,000||$20,000 – $130,000|
|2,500||$25,000 – $140,000|
|3,000||$30,000 – $200,000|
|4,000||$40,000 – $260,000|
If you’re in an averaged-sized 2,500 sq ft home, here’s a snapshot of the cost to remodel a house by room along with a timeline estimate.
|Area of the Home||Total Cost to Remodel||How Long It Takes|
|Exterior||$9,000||3 weeks or more|
|Kitchen||$10,000||5 weeks or more|
|Bathroom||$9,000||3 weeks or more|
|Living Room or Bedroom||$3,000||4 weeks or more|
|Basement||$15,000||3 weeks or more|
Please note that costs will vary from region and type of house you own. For example, if you’re renovating an apartment, you might only be looking at about $30 per square foot. However, if you’re renovating a giant victorian home, you might see costs as high as $200 per square foot. It’s important to get your quotes directly from your contractor.
Next, Rent a Self Storage Unit for Your Home Renovation
How Long It Takes: 10 Minutes How Much It Costs: $30 - $200
After your cost to remodel your house is planned and your contractor is picked, you should rent a self storage unit. Renting a storage unit online takes a whole total of ten minutes. Easy right? Rent a storage unit to store your things during the renovation and remodeling. Storage will protect them from the onslaught of dust, dirt, and debris that will surely be made. That way you don’t have to stuff your garage full. Not to mention, what if you run into a problem, you could be faced with a lot of extra materials that you don’t have room for.
While you are cleaning out for the remodel, you can also figure out if you want to get rid of anything. There is no point in moving it back into your “brand new” room if you don’t want it or it won’t fit the new décor. You can keep those items in storage as well, and dispose of them after the remodel is finished. Plus, our self storage units are pretty cost-effective because we offer month-to-month leases, and if you plan properly, you’ll only need it for about that long anyway!
Framing and Drywalling a Whole House for a Remodel
How Long It Takes: 3 Weeks How Much It Costs: $15,000 - $40,000
There are quite a few drywall types. Standard drywall are inexpensive. Paperless drywall is affordable but requires several applications. There are also several specialty drywall options which include those that are fire-resistant and moisture-resistant. Specialty drywall options cost more, but are typically used in a small portion of most homes. Most homes contain several drywall types. All of these factors combined with the size of your home will affect the price. While your home is being drywalled, follow these helpful remodeling tips:
- Prepare to eat out more often, especially if you’re kitchen is being remodeled.
- Cover everything with old sheets to protect them from dust and debris.
- Close doors to keep dust from going to other parts of your home
- Beware of nails and screws on the floor.
- Keep children and pets far away from the construction. That will prevent accidents (and tears).
- Open windows to let out the dust if possible.
- Close doors between rooms to keep dust from spreading everywhere. (This is one of the best remodeling tips!)
Remodel HVAC, Electrical & Plumbing for a Whole House
How Long It Takes: 7 days How Much It Costs: $4900 - $31,000
HVAC cost to remodel a house can be anywhere between $500 – $9000. You have many different options when it comes to choosing heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) units. So prices depended on what brand you choose. During this time, you’ll most likely be getting your electrical and plumbing costs situated as well. If you need to rewire a whole house, you’ll pay anywhere from $4,000 – $20,000. Additionally, you’ll probably be looking at about $400 – $2,000 for a whole house plumbing update. Here are some remodeling tips while you’re getting your HVAC, electric, and plumbing worked on:
- Resist the urge to talk while these professionals are working. The services they provide are critical to your satisfaction when the project is finished.
- Keep children and pets away. Some of the materials and tools used are dangerous.
- If you see something you’re not sure you ordered, ask. Better to cause a slight inconvenience than a big problem later.
- If you can, try to leave the house when these services are being installed.
- If you suddenly decide you want a slight change, let them know. Often, they can accommodate your wishes without a problem.
How Long Does It Take for Painting and Flooring?
How Long It Takes: 7 days How Much It Costs: $20,000
After those big pieces are finished. It’s time for the fun part of the cost to remodel a house. The decoration, painting, and flooring. Flooring a whole home can cost anywhere from $10 – $18 per sq ft and last a couple of days. Painting a whole home costs $2 to $6 per square foot and takes 2-3 days. Finally, installing fixtures cost anywhere from $100 to $800 per room. Here are some of our best remodeling tips during this phase of your remodel:
- A lot of activities will be going on at once during this time. Avoid the commotion and go somewhere during the day if possible.
- Check to make sure anything you didn’t store in a storage unit is protected. Otherwise, it could get damaged, splashed by paint, or covered in thick dust.
- Keep a supply of water around for the people making your home look amazing. (We hope you agree, one of the most critical remodeling tips.)
- If you change your mind on anything, speak up. Sometimes contractors can make changes without too much fuss. (And sometimes not.)
We hope this cost breakdown and timeline help your home remodel plan. Let us know if you have any questions about how self storage can help make your life easier during your next remodel project. Until then, happy remodeling!
More home, moving and storage tips on the blog:
Orginally published: 6/9/2015. Updated: 8/26/2021